Friday, August 23, 2013

Visiting the Banya

After my two weeks of making hundreds of books and discovering just how little I want to be someone's boss, I took the day off to check out the relatively new Banya in SF. Oh my.

Not since NYC, years ago, have I been to a proper Russian sauna with a cold plunge. There are clothing optional sections, but lots of people wear swim trunks or bikinis.  I'm in love with it, just after one visit.  The steam sauna was also amazing.  After a few rounds of steaming, cold plunging, sweating and soaking, there is a lovely balcony to take in the sun and the fresh breeze. There, you can chat with new and old friends, share a bottle of wine, and have some light snacks before heading back down into the tubs for a second round.

It's during the second round that I laid out and had a birch leaf treatment.  They soak the dried leaves to release the tannins and slap them across the skin to open up the pores.  It's done in the Russian sauna, so you are already warm and sweating. Once done, it's another cold plunge. 

I spent a little over six hours. Well worth it.  This is something that needs to become regular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment